The Briggait is a magnificent building which had, except for temporary use, lain empty for the best part of 20 years. Wasps set out to redevelop the building back in 2001 and finally completed the project in late 2009. The Briggait now houses over 5,500m2 of public and private space including:
• 45 studios for visual artists
• 24 offices for cultural organisations
• 4 shop-front units for creative industry companies
• A beautiful public courtyard that dates back to 1873
• 2 street-front exhibition spaces, 2 meeting room spaces, and a heritage interpretation room
• An unit on the Clyde facing side of the building which has been used for several purpose, most notably as a public cafe
• The Briggait is fully accessible with designated entrance, lift, and bathroom facilities, except for first floor studios on the Bridgegate elevation of the building
A great deal of work went into repairing the Briggait’s historic fabric to make the building habitable again.
The stunning 1873 Courtyard, perhaps the most impressive space architecturally, is open to the public on a daily basis between 9:30am and 5:30pm, Monday to Friday.
Meeting Room and Event Space Hire:
We have two meeting rooms available for hire on an hourly, half day, and full day basis. They are bright rooms on the ground floor, adjacent to the main 1873 Courtyard.
• Meeting Room 1 can sit 12 around a large table
• Meeting Room 2 can sit 6-8 around a table
• Projector (to hire) and flipchart available on request
• Tea and coffee making facilities available on request
• We are unable to cater but can recommend local suppliers
For meeting room booking enquiries please email us here or phone 0141 553 5890.
Event hire at The Briggait is handled by Inhouse Events CIC. To check availability of dates and submit a hire request go to the 1873 Hall booking website here: http://1873hall.inhouse.scot.
If you'd like to discuss a booking please call 0141 816 9989.
The Briggait has two shop-fronted gallery spaces looking out onto Bridgegate. These spaces are programmed by Wasps. For more information on how to submit a proposal/register of interest for the Briggait project spaces, click here.
Apply for an artist studio
Our artist studios are intended to support visual and applied artists and makers. We operate a registered waiting list and ask anyone looking to rent a studio with Wasps to apply to our waiting list. For all information on how to apply to the register, as well as details on our lettings process and studio eligibility please visit this section of our website. On occasion, we have studios and offices advertised outwith our registered waiting list. You can find these here: Available Studios & Offices.
Being a Wasps Tenant
With over 40 years worth of expertise, we are the UK’s largest provider of affordable studio space for artists and creative industries.
Tenants of the Wasps community receive the following benefits:
• Affordable studio prices with no hidden costs - utilities and Wifi are all inclusive in artist studios (rates apply for creative offices)
• Building security - all our buildings are either owned or on long term rentals
• 24/7 secure access all year round
• Part of our community of almost 1,000 artists and creatives in our 20 buildings across Scotland
• Exhibiting and selling opportunities through our Arts & Enterprise programme including:
⁃ Exhibitions - over 50% of artists exhibited in our gallery programmes are tenants
⁃ Makers Markets
⁃ South Block shop
⁃ Open Studios
⁃ Art Fairs
• Ability to join our Own Art scheme
• Support and expertise from Wasps’ staff team
• Promotion on our website with an artist profile
The Briggait is in Glasgow's city centre. We are directly next to the main cycle path that follows the river clyde.
If travelling by train, the Briggait is around 10 minutes walk from Queen Street Station or 5 minutes from Argyle Street Station. From Queen Street walk diagonally across George Square then down Miller Street into Ingram Street. Turn right onto Stockwell Street and keep walking until you see the Briggait on your left hand side. Alternatively, many bus routes stop on Stockwell Street, two minutes from the Briggait.
Car parking is available directly across the road in King Street car park.