In partnership with Creative Scotland, Orkney Islands Council and Highlands and Islands Enterprise, we have been able to redevelop the former Stromness Library which has remained empty since the library was moved to new premises in 2011.
The local community have been very keen to see the building being brought back into use and they are delighted that the building is now being used as artists’ studios. This beautiful studio project provides a permanent home for Solisquoy Printmakers and four studio spaces for artists based on the Island.
Stromness Studios officially opened in October 2016.
Apply for an artist studio
Our artist studios are intended to support visual and applied artists and makers. We operate a registered waiting list and ask anyone looking to rent a studio with Wasps to apply to our waiting list. For all information on how to apply to the register, as well as details on our lettings process and studio eligibility please visit this section of our website. On occasion, we have studios and offices advertised outwith our registered waiting list. You can find these here: Available Studios & Offices.
Being a Wasps Tenant
With over 40 years worth of expertise, we are the UK’s largest provider of affordable studio space for artists and creative industries.
Tenants of the Wasps community receive the following benefits:
• Affordable studio prices with no hidden costs - utilities and Wifi are all inclusive in artist studios (rates apply for creative offices)
• Building security - all our buildings are either owned or on long term rentals
• 24/7 secure access all year round
• Part of our community of almost 1,000 artists and creatives in our 20 buildings across Scotland
• Exhibiting and selling opportunities through our Arts & Enterprise programme including:
⁃ Exhibitions - over 50% of artists exhibited in our gallery programmes are tenants
⁃ Makers Markets
⁃ South Block shop
⁃ Open Studios
⁃ Art Fairs
• Ability to join our Own Art scheme
• Support and expertise from Wasps’ staff team
• Promotion on our website with an artist profile
From Stromness Harbour, turn left and walk along Dundas Street past Pier Arts Centre. Stromness Studios is at the bottom of Hellihole Road.
There are buses every 40 minutes from Kirkwall to Stromness Harbour.