South Block is a stunning 50,000 sq.ft. studio complex in the heart of Glasgow’s Merchant City/Trongate area. Designed by award-winning architects, NORD, South Block provides 96 studios for Glasgow’s creative community including:
- 64 studios for visual artists and makers
- 25 offices for creative companies
- 7 offices for social enterprises working in the cultural sector
- Meeting rooms and project spaces available for external hire
- Public Cafe
- Beautiful reception/exhibitions and events space
The South Block project cost £3.5 million and we are tremendously grateful to the following funders for their support: Creative Scotland; Scottish Investment Fund; Scottish Enterprise; European Regional Development Fund; Glasgow City Council; Glasgow City Heritage Trust; and Merchant City Townscape Heritage Initiative. The building has recently been awarded The Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland prestigious Andrew Doolan Best Building in Scotland Award for 2013.
Apply for an artist studio
Our artist studios are intended to support visual and applied artists and makers. We operate a registered waiting list and ask anyone looking to rent a studio with Wasps to apply to our waiting list. For all information on how to apply to the register, as well as details on our lettings process and studio eligibility please visit this section of our website. On occasion, we have studios and offices advertised outwith our registered waiting list. You can find these here: Available Studios & Offices.
Being a Wasps Tenant
With over 40 years worth of expertise, we are the UK’s largest provider of affordable studio space for artists and creative industries.
Tenants of the Wasps community receive the following benefits:
• Affordable studio prices with no hidden costs - utilities and Wifi are all inclusive in artist studios (rates apply for creative offices)
• Building security - all our buildings are either owned or on long term rentals
• 24/7 secure access all year round
• Part of our community of almost 1,000 artists and creatives in our 20 buildings across Scotland
• Exhibiting and selling opportunities through our Arts & Enterprise programme including:
⁃ Exhibitions - over 50% of artists exhibited in our gallery programmes are tenants
⁃ Makers Markets
⁃ South Block shop
⁃ Open Studios
⁃ Art Fairs
• Ability to join our Own Art scheme
• Support and expertise from Wasps’ staff team
• Promotion on our website with an artist profile
South Block is a couple of minutes walk from Argyle Street train station and sits parallel to Trongate, directly behind Trongate 103. It is also a five minute walk from many of the bus stops situated on Stockwell Street. There is no free car parking but there is an NCP car park directly across the road.