Wasps is delighted to invite both current Wasps tenants and Wasps waiting list artists/makers of all disciplines to apply for this unique residency opportunity. Marchmont, a home to makers and creators, is expanding its mission to support artistic vision, and in partnership with Wasps is offering a fully funded one-month residency during August 2021, taking place in Fogo, in the Scottish Borders, 3 miles away from Marchmont House.
The residency programme seeks to explore the fertile ground of the relationship between art, nature and its interaction with humanity. We welcome applications with connections to these themes of art and nature.
Background - Fogo Studio
The residency will take place in a recently restored 2 bed cottage in the local hamlet of Fogo, 3 miles from Marchmont House. The cottage has a special artistic history as the former studio of 20th century Scottish Artist Rory McEwen. A symbol of creativity and the spirit of both Marchmont and the McEwen family, the artist is most noted for his botanical illustrations, though was also a musician, sculptor, poet, performer, and pioneering television presenter of the popular programme Hullabaloo. You can read more on the Scottish Polymath here.
The cottage has a kitchen, bathroom, sitting room area, bedroom, and artist's studio. There is also onsite car parking.
Studio Cottage, Fogo
Background - Marchmont
The Marchmont Estate lies to the east of the village of Greenlaw in the Scottish Borders. Marchmont is a home to makers and creators, inspiration through creativity since 1750. Marchmont House is an imposing Grade A listed Palladian mansion built by Hugh Hume-Campbell, 3rd Earl of Marchmont.
Find out more on Marchmont via their website.
Marchmont also offer grants via the Marchmont Makers Foundation. Note: the Foundation is not connected to this residency opportunity.
For all information, and before applying for this opportunity, please download and review the application pack, available in the downloads bar, which contains everything you need to know about the residency.
Artist/s will receive:
• Free accommodation and workspace for the month of August 2021.
• A £1,000 stipend (or £500 per Artist if a duo is selected), for the duration of the residency.
• A tour of Marchmont House, the creative spaces and grounds will be provided at the beginning of the residency.
• Access to the Common Room at Marchmont studios and an opportunity to integrate with the permanent makers and creators community onsite.
• The end of the residency coincides with Marchmont’s Open Studio event at the end of August, which the recipient of this residency will be included in.
• A featured artist in conversation interview with Wasps which is published online across the Wasps tenant network.
• A one-month exhibition opportunity at Wasps Patriothall Gallery (Stockbridge, Edinburgh) in 2022
Marchmont Creative Space Common Room
To apply complete our online application form here. Deadline for applications: Tuesday 16 March, 5pm. Tenants can also apply via the Wasps Resource.