We are delighted to welcome Hugo Burge and Dyan Owen, who joined Wasps Board this September.
Hugo Burge, who was CEO of the Momondo Group, and won the 2018 Historic Houses/Sotheby’s Restoration Award for the restoration of Marchmont House in Berwickshire, said "Wasps have not only supported artists but promoted regeneration and, in the process, become a viable and self-sustaining organisation. I find that social purpose and ability to make a difference inspiring. I want to be part of it and help write the next chapter... We can support artists in so many ways - giving them better tools, better affordable spaces, confidence, support, community, commercial awareness and - of course - exposure.”
Business communications specialist Dyan Owen, of Weber Shandwick, said of her appointment: “I’m a strong believer in both the economic and the social importance of the arts. So I’m excited to be working with an organisation like Wasps that understands the potential of the arts in driving social as well as economic development. Wasps is so impressive because it has invested in places like Nairn and Skye rather than just focusing on the Central Belt. It allows people to invest in their passion; it creates opportunities and provides long-term security for artists and makers.”
Audrey Carlin, Wasps Chief Executive Officer, said: “It’s great to be able to welcome two such talented people to our board, especially as they have a deep commitment to the arts and the creative economy.
“Over the past 40 years Wasps has become Scotland’s largest provider of high-quality studios and working spaces for artists, makers and creative companies, but we are ambitious to achieve far more.
“The creative economy is one of Scotland’s greatest assets but it needs support to develop and grow. Hugo and Dyan have exactly the skills and experience that will help us to make that happen.”
About Hugo Burge
• Director of Marchmont Ventures which is building sustainable creativity in the arts, crafts and purpose driven business. See www.marchmontventures.com.
• Director of Marchmont Farms Ltd., which operates Marchmont Estate, with a focus on restoring Marchmont House and bringing it back to life after a period of institutional usage.
• Former CEO of the Momondo Group. Momondo Group powers pioneering brands that shape and inspire global travel search.
About Dyan Owen
• Owen has been with Weber Shandwick for around seven years and has a proven track record in delivering award-winning integrated campaigns. Her experience spans a range of industries, including the public and third sectors, energy, technology and telecoms.
• She previously worked with Highlands and Islands Enterprise in Inverness where she focused on in-house marketing and communications, life sciences and low carbon.
• Owen has a first in English Studies with Scottish Literature from the University of Stirling.